Happy April Fool's Day!

In honor of April Fool's Day, I'm posting  a few delicately witty Victorian "cartoons" (they did have a sense of humor back then! :) :

UNLUCKY SPEECHES
SHE--"What a disagreeable thing that insomnia must be! Very trying, I think! Do you ever suffer from it, Captain Spinks?"
HE--"Oh, dear, no. I can sleep anywhere, at any time! Could go off this moment, I assure you!"

AN EXTINGUISHER
Forward and Loquacious Youth. "By Jove, you Know, upon my Word, now--if I were to see a Ghost, you know, I should be a Chattering Idiot for the Rest of My Life!"
Ingenuous Maiden (dreamily). "Have you Seen a Ghost?"

SPEECHES ONE HAS TO LIVE DOWN
HOSTESS--"So sorry to have kept you waiting, Mr. Green."
VISITOR--"Oh, don't mention it. The anticipation, you know, is always so much brighter than the reality."

No comments:

Post a Comment