Ducklings and Life...

The painter gets to work...

We gave this sign to Andrew for Christmas, and he's got it up in his shop. Love it! :)

And here is the wonderful man himself!

The ducklings have just arrived!

Here's a peek...

...and here they all are. :)

Stephen is taking such good care of his duckies!



And green grass is here at last!

The scene of the Grand Explosion. Mom had put Texas French Toast in the oven, and it was cooking merrily until "BAM!" When we looked through the glass oven window, we saw that the Pyrex had "exploded." Needless to say, we didn't eat French Toast that morning! Looking it up online, they say that the new Pyrex sometimes just do this; something about their not being tempered like the old ones or something. :(

Daniel B.

Ben & I babysat them while their parents met with all the usual babysitters. :)

Another view of the darling duckies...

Yes, that's NOT a duckling! Mom's raising a few layer chicks along with them. :)

I shall close with this shot of The Sinking Boat, or The Deserted Ship or whatever descriptive title strikes your poetic fancy. :)


4 comments:

  1. Stephan got ducklings!?!?!? Tell him I am so happy for him - ducks are such a good homesteading project!!!! I have read that they are among the most amusing of poultry. What kind are they?
    And what kind of layer chicks do you all use? I have been going round and round in my head about chickens for weeks now, and there are so many breeds to chose from that it's bewildering.
    At least you had a Pyrex that was defective. I have no excuse over what I did to mine! Seriously, what idiot pours cold water on a glass dish heated to 500 degrees? I am never making that mistake again.

    Descriptive name for the boat... Hmm... How about "discarded now but once was strong as it drifted down the murmured throng of laughing waters glitt'ring by the shadowed trees and mellowed sky.". Poetic ramble, anyone? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your comments, Karen! :)
    Yep, Stephen is quite the little man, caring for his ducklings. :) They're Rouens, Khaki Campbells, and a few Blue Swedish. :) The KC's are supposedly good layers, as ducks go.
    Layer chicks...we've tried quite a few varieties, and like them for different reasons. Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, any Rock variety, and Auracaunas have been long-time favorites. The new chicks are actually Red Sex Link, because we just got 12 from a feed store, and that's what they had. But with an owl making depredations, we needed a few more layers... Did I tell you that it flew out of the hen house almost into Micah's face an evening last week? "It" being a Great Horned Owl. :)
    Your poetic ramble brings back memories... :) :) :)
    Love you so much! ~Elisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the boat picture! And the blue on the door!
    What cute ducklings!
    Love,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kacki Campbell's top the list along with Runner Ducks in every list of egg laying waterfowl that I've read. I've also read that Silver Appleyards are good, too, but they are rather rare. The Campells will look sharp in the same flock with Blue Swedish - slate blue grey and golden tan make a beautiful contrast. I can hardly wait to see how they grow up!
    I've thought about Red Sex links but ultimately decided no because I couldn't breed them. Kathy and I have decided that whatever chicken we chose we would like to breed - think self sustaining flock. :-). Other than that one issue, I like the sex link birds - I think the roosters are beautiful! Maybe if I ever supplement my regular flock, I'll try a few. Have you ever tried Black Sex link? Here in NC, Wyandottes, New Hampshires, Amerucanas, and RIRs are very popular. So are Black Copper Marans. I really like those - they are excellent free range birds and lay extremely dark eggs, but they are really expensive!
    Wow... He got that close to a Great Horned Owl!?!? How neat is that?!?!
    Miss you loads and buckets and towers of rainclouds...

    ReplyDelete