Clothing Inspirations...

Here I go again... with more pictures of clothes which inspire me! Our culture so bombards us, portraying immodesty, defrauding, and just plain ugliness as attractive and desireable that I feel it is helpful for all of us to hold before our eyes images which praise the beauties of purity, modesty, femininty, and womanhood. There is a special glory which belongs to being a godly woman, and it should be our challenge and our delight to seek to portray it!
Refer back to this post for my more detailed explanations and disclaimers. :)

Here's a bit of sartorial humor to start off! ;)

I want to record my deep and abiding gratefulness to Mom, who has been an example of the most important part of beauty -- inner beauty -- for all of my life (not to mention being outwardly beautiful!). I am so, so grateful for her example in a multitude of areas. How can I ever show the extent of my gratitude to my Mom!

I like the hairstyle, and the clear, not-overly-made-up beauty of this shot! Any makeup is only highlighting, not obscuring or making unnatural, her beauty.

The details of this dress are simple yet lovely -- I'd love to try to replicate it someday!

I know it's large polka dots, but somehow they look smashing!

Now we're back in the 50's...

I'd make the sleeves longer, but this interesting pattern uses an interesting sleeve idea (not "set-in" sleeves).

The femininity of the colors, the style... I really like it!

Last year, I created a dress which incorporated many of the qualities I liked in 40's and 50's dresses (though I actually don't think it says "50's" :).

This painting is inspiring in quite a few ways! One neat thing about this dress is the simple gorgeousness of the drape. It is beautiful, and modest, and yet makes the wearer look lovely. :)

A modern dress that incorporates many  lovely "50's" details...
*A little too tight, in my eyes

Don't take this to mean that I'm in full support of Princess Catherine, or everything she wears or supports, or... In fact, I pray for her and her husband, that God would open their eyes and bring them to Himself.
But, there are several outfits of hers that I found encouraging, since they are a call back to modesty and beauty, and because they're being worn by a figure which has such an influence over fashion that the media has called it "the Kate effect."

That said, the above yellow dress is simply delicious! I would love to own a dress like it!! Look at all the details...the gathering where the bodice joins the skirt, the collar, the buttons, the shape of the sleeves...
*Unfortunately, most of what she wears is too short, even if the upper part is gorgeously modest. And I don't care for the heavy eye makeup.

I wish I could find a dress pattern with these details (do any of you amazing pattern designers want to draft me a pattern? :)! 

Another dress I'd be simply tickled to own -- if it was longer!
(By the way, it's an Orla Keily -- remember the 4 starting pics last post?)
*It's a little tighter than I'd wear. One thing about modesty is that some figures (like Kate's) can get away with styles that would not be modest on a bustier or different figure.

And... if you've ever daydreamed about attending some scintillating red-carpet soiree, but feel like somehow some relaxation in modest standards would have to take place before one would be appropriately dressed -- then, you're wrong! Kate wore this magnificent, modest gown at a very elite event here in America.
(by the way, I'm not recommending daydreaming! :)

The S. girls have a sweet way of dressing that is old-fashioned but pretty. :)

And a jumper with many attractive features. :)

I want to end this post with a fantastic quote:

What is in our heart? What are we filling our minds with? Are we seeking Christ and His narrow path, or are we being defiled with the World? It makes all the difference in whether we have a light in our eyes, or whether we walk in darkness and don't have the joy of the Lord shining from our eyes and illuminating our countenances.
This is the most important part of beauty. I have seen girls who were physically very plain & homely-looking, but who were so beautiful inside that their faces were beautiful -- and I've seen girls who had physical beauty, but whose sullen, darkened, superficially-happy faces were not appealing at all.
May we seek Christ's narrow path, not the broad way of the World, and may we truly love Christ more than anything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment