A dear friend who has shared my love of poetry over the years (and is no mean poet herself!) shared this gem with me; read it slowly, and with your heart as well as your head:

"Thy way, not mine, O Lord, however dark it be;
Lead me by Thine own hand, choose out the path for me.

Smooth let it be or rough, it will be still the best;
Winding or straight, it leads onward to Thy rest.

I dare not choose my lot; I would not if I might;
Choose Thou for me, my God, so shall I walk aright.

The kingdom that I seek is Thine, so let the way
That leads to it be Thine else I must surely stray.

Take Thou my cup, and with it joy or sorrow fill
As best to Thee may seem; choose Thou my good and ill.

Choose Thou for me my friends, my sickness or my health;
Choose Thou my cares for me, my poverty or wealth.

Not mine, not mine, the choice in things great or small;
Be Thou my Guide, my Strength, my Wisdom, and my All."

-Horatio Bonar, 1808-1889

3 comments: