Burma-Shave

Had you ever heard of Burma-Shave signs?

We hadn't really, until recently. They were little red signs which were placed in rows along the roads in the 30's - 50's, etc., using a jingle to advertise its revolutionary tube shaving cream. It was a creative and fun way to advertise their product -- and provided amusement for travelers in those days. ;) Anyway, we got a lot of laughs recently from reading some of their old slogans, and I thought it'd be fun to post some here! :)


Said Juliet/ 
To Romeo/ 
If You Won't Shave/ 
Go Homeo


To Get/ 
Away From/ 
Hairy Apes/ 
Ladies Jump/ 
From Fire Escapes

While most of the signs dealt with shaving (naturally!), some had a safe-driving theme. :)


He Had The Ring/ 
He Had The Flat/ 
But She Felt His Chin/ 
And That/ 
Was That


We've Made/ 
Grandpa/ 
Look So Trim/ 
The Local Draft Board's/ 
After Him


My Job Is/ 
Keeping Faces Clean/ 
And Nobody Knows/ 
De Stubble/ 
I've Seen


In honor of Memorial Day, I'll add this one:  :)
Corny, witty, funny -- they had all kinds! ;)

Which one of these is your favorite? Or have you heard of any yourself that tickled your funny bone? Please do share! :) :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! These are hilarious!!! :D Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which one is my favorite... oh dear!

    Probably the one about the mortician, if I had to pick just one.

    ReplyDelete