Amazing clouds frame our two houses...

I have begun reading a thick book of collected poems, so brace yourselves--I'm will probably be sharing gems that inspire me out of it! The following is too good not to share:

Be the Best of Whatever You Are

[Malloch's note: “We all dream of great deeds and high positions, away from the pettiness and humdrum of ordinary life. Yet success is not occupying a lofty place or doing conspicuous work… Dream, aspire by all means; but do not ruin the life you must lead by dreaming pipe dreams of one you would like to lead. Make the most of what you have, and are. Perhaps your trivial, immediate task is the one sure way of proving your mettle. Do the thing near at hand, and great things will come to your hand to be done.”]

If you can’t be a pine on the top of the hill,
            Be a scrub in the valley—but be
The best little scrub by the side of the rill;
            Be a bush if you can’t be a tree!

If you can’t be a bush be a bit of the grass,
            And some highway happier make;
If you can’t be a muskie then just be a bass—
            But the liveliest bass in the lake!

We can’t all be captains, we’ve got to be crew,
            There’s something for all of us here,
There’s big work to do, and there’s lesser to do,
             And the task you must do is the near.

If you can’t be a highway then just be trail,
            If you can’t be the sun be a star;
It isn’t by size that you win or you fail—
            Be the best of whatever you are!

—Douglas Malloch

And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.
He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. (Matt. 25:20-23)


Something yummy is being made--with eggs from Stephen's ducks!!!

How much fun it is to color!

I have begun (by the time of this writing, I've practically finished) a dress, using a vintage pattern given me by a friend. (by the way, I added sleeves... :)

I love all the details on old patterns! And that fascinating way of taking photos which screams "50's-60's"... 

A true artist has been at work here! :) Aren't cities at night gorgeous?

Yesterday morning, a gorgeous line of clouds began to form on the distant hills...

They were moving rapidly towards us...



It was such a pretty sight!

7 comments:

  1. Those are some amazing cloud pictures, my friend! I haven't seen such a nice shelf cloud in a while. Did the temp. change after it went overhead?

    So... when do we get to see this fabulous vintage themed gown of yours? Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did get a teensy bit cooler, but nothing like the drop when we had a wall cloud several years ago. :) By the way, Ben took two of those pictures, and Debs wants you to know that she took the very first one in the post. :) ;)

    I am waiting for a matching zipper, and then I will unveil the finished dress... :) You're sweet to be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Debs that she did great - the composition is both interesting and creative!

    So... which cloud pictures did Ben take and which ones did you take? I noticed on the last three that the colors and texture of the photographs were different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, who drew the beautiful city at night? Reminds me distinctly of Tashban. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben did!
    And it is tashban! I(Debs) scaned it in to the computer and croped it out and then printed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! Tell Ben that I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete